A beautiful boxlock, by G.E. Lewis, the action with superb engraving of two game scenes, on one side a gentleman hunting hare and the other a gentleman hunting game birds, both surrounded by beautiful foliate-scroll engraving, beautifully carved and engraved fences, top lever and top tang with top safety revealing SAFE in gold, the barrels polished in their original Damascus steel finish, with the classic double-trigger and well-figured semi pistol-grip stock.
Although a famous engraver G.E. Lewis was making guns in Birmingham as early as 1859 although he did open several branches in London over the years. Towards the end of the 19th century G.E. Lewis gained international recognition with various awards and honours exhibiting his work. His ‘Gun of the Period’ is his most famous piece, which gained him Gold, Silver and Bronze medals at exhibitions. The business stayed within the family until it was put up for auction in 2003.
This was originally made for a Dr Alfred Moxon, of Manor Court Road, Nuneaton in 1894.
A 12-bore boxlock, by Midland Gun Co, the action with attractive acanthus and foliate-scroll engraving, this engraving extends to the beautiful tapering fences, the top lever, underside and trigger-guard, with classic double-trigger, and chequered side-panels on the well-figured pistol-grip stock.
Midland Gun Co’s first trading address was 76 Bath St, Birmingham where they were stationed from 1889-1894, however the company moved many times after this.
A commanding 12-bore boxlock, by W.W. Greener, the beautiful scroll-back action with cross-bolt engraved with foliate-scroll, the typical Greener side safety with SAFE in gold, classic double-trigger, well-figured stock with Prince of Wales grip.
The Greener business began in 1829 when William Greener left Manton gunsmith and set up on his own in Newcastle. When breechloading arms were invented, his son William Wellington Greener saw this as the future and split from his father and set up in 1855 eventually moving to London. This sporting arm featured here was a product of William Wellington Greener (W.W. Greener). This Facile Princeps model with its side-safety was his most famous work.The original proof marks showed that this was proved in Birmingham from 1904-1925.