The Flying Ace’s Gun – Squadron-Leader John Farquhar Gordon D.F.C.
Price On Application
GORDON, JOHN FARQUHAR, son of C. G. Gordon; born Deal, 23 March 1893. Sc. (Agriculture), 1910-11. 2nd Lieutenant, Gordon Highlanders, August 1915; attached Royal Flying Corps Served Home, 1915-16; France, Belgium, 1916-19. Final rank, Acting Major. Distinguished Flying Cross, September 1918.
No.1 Reserve Aeropland Squadron – Gordon Highlanders. Reported at South Farnborough on 22/12/1915 and is attached to No.1 Reserve Aeroplane Squadron for instruction in aviation.
March 1920 Flight Lieutenant No. 4 Squadron
|1 Apr 1926||Sqn Ldr John F Gordon DFC C/O No. 31 Squadron|
|8 Mar 1932||Sqn Ldr John F Gordon C/O No. 35 Squadron|
|28 Sep 1918||Maj J F Gordon C/O No.205 Squadron|
5/11/18 – 1/12/1919 – Commanding Officer of No. 18 Squadron
1933 – Aiport Depot Iraq
Flight Lieutenant to Squadron Leader 1926 – General Duties branch
Placed on half pay in 1932 then returned to full pay only a month later
J.F. Gordon D.F.C:
1915 as cadet in Gordon Highlanders arrived at South Farnborough from Royal Military College for aviation instruction.
- 1916 as 2ndLieutenant was still under insutruction at S. Farnborough.
- 24/03/1916 to be Flying officer and seconded to Royal Flying Corps.
- 14/02/1917 to be Flight Commander (and temporary Captain)
- “Gordon,Capt,JF – 25Sq,08.07.18,Ok [A7626 DH4] u/c broke on landing from test. Capt JF Gordon Ok/46288 Cpl H Emerson Ok,CasRep,AIR 1/857,109292,,180708,GORDON”
- “Gordon,Capt,JF,,,,25Sq,30.07.18,Ok [A7877 DH4] f/l Reclinghem due excessive vibration during machine test. Capt JF Gordon Ok/Lt GM Lawson Ok,CasRep,AIR 1/857,109293,,180730,GORDON”
- “Gordon,Maj,JF,,,Gordon Highlanders,18Sq France,24.06.19,inj [- -] Engine backfired while turning starting handle of Crossley touring car,CasCards,272153,109294,,190624,GORDON”
Won D.F.C with No. 25 Squadron in 1917/18
1918 – Flight Lieutenant
D.F.C. – 1918 Captain J.F. Gordon – Gazette Issue 30989 1/11//18. D.F.C. The King has been graciously pleased to award the Distinguished Flying Cross to this officer in recognition of his gallantry in flying operations against the enemy. An exceptionally able leader, who has carried out thirty-one bombing raids and twenty photographic reconnaissances. Many of these fights were of great distance and carried out at a very high altitude, calling for great courage and stamina. This officer possesses these qualities in a marked degree, and his example has been of the greatest service to his squadron.
No. 25 Squadron:
|Battle honours||Home Defence, 1916: Western Front, 1916–1918: Somme, 1916: Arras: Ypres, 1917: Cambrai, 1917: Somme, 1918: Lys: Hindenburg Line: Channel & North Sea,|
- 25 Squadron was a long-rage reconnaissance and fighter unit. Equipped with the FE2B twin-seater plane.
- Its duties changed to bombing, reconnaissance and eventually included photography in 1917.
- 25 Squadron was the first RFC squadron to receive the new DH4 de Haviland bomber, which made the squadron a long-range unit.
- Germany’s last big offensive in march 1918 led to the unit performing many low level raids and strafing of advancing German units.
- In April 1918 the unit returned to high-altitude long-range bombing sometimes over 100 miles into enemy terrioty.
- 23/6/1918 was the last bombing raid of the squadron. Long-range photo recon was performed after this.
1941 – Mentioned in Despatches
Retired 1943. Served in General Duties Branch
Gordon,Cadet,JF,,,,,22.12.15,to join S Farn for instr in aviation (from Royal Military College),Posting,33/img_0369,109287,,151222,GORDON
Gordon,2Lt,JF,,,Gordon Highlanders,1RS South Farnborough,24.03.16,under instruction,Mar-16,25/img_2163,109288,,160324,GORDON
Gordon,2Lt,JF,J.F.,,Gord. Highrs.,,03.06.16,to be Flying Officer and to be seconded,Gazette,16.6069,109289,,160603,GORDON
Gordon,2Lt,JF,J.F.,,Gord. Highrs,,14.02.17,to be Flight Comdr from Flying Officer and to be TCapt whilst so empld,Gazette,17. 1956,109290,,170214,GORDON
Gordon,Lt(TCapt),JF,,,Gordon Highrs,,00.03.18,Flight Comdr,ALMar18,25/img_3673,109291,,180300,GORDON
Gordon,Capt,JF,,,,25Sq,08.07.18,Ok [A7626 DH4] u/c broke on landing from test. Capt JF Gordon Ok/46288 Cpl H Emerson Ok,CasRep,AIR 1/857,109292,,180708,GORDON
Gordon,Capt,JF,,,,25Sq,30.07.18,Ok [A7877 DH4] f/l Reclinghem due excessive vibration during machine test. Capt JF Gordon Ok/Lt GM Lawson Ok,CasRep,AIR 1/857,109293,,180730,GORDON
Gordon,Maj,JF,,,Gordon Highlanders,18Sq France,24.06.19,inj [- -] Engine backfired while turning starting handle of Crossley touring car,CasCards,272153,109294,,190624,GORDON
Gordon,,JF,J F,,,,,,AIR76-1,AIR 76/188/79,109295,,0,GORDON
Gordon,Capt,JF,John Farquhar,,Gordon Highlanders 2Lt. RAF Capt,,,,Medals,WO 372/8/69969,109296,,0,GORDON